Ruidosón pa' la pasión
10:10 PMMy work day was long yesterday, like 8am to 9pm long. I decided since I was done editing the show I work on for Sunday I could look up some stuff on FB.
As I cynically scrolled down my news feed ignoring baby posts and food pictures I came across some event at a bar. Turned out Los Macuanos were going to be in Pilsen. WHAT?! How did I miss this? What do I do? So I tweeted about it and they told me to go sooooo
...after I saw that immediately logged off made phone calls and went back to work so I could leave early.
We got to the bar at around 1130ish and the place was already packed. The bar itself was okay, if you want to hang out with gang bangers and hipsters outside in the same night then this is your place to be!
The next thing I immediately noticed was that it was so hot in there, like a sweatbox inside a sauna hot. I wanted to be close to the stage, so as I was making my way up to the front I spotted 3 non chalant looking guys decked out in all black attire bobbing their heads to Cumbia Machin's set. That's when I realized, it was THEM. I saw one making his way through the crowd coming towards me so I stopped him and asked if they had already played, he said they were up next. To say I was excited was an understatement. Also, I was ready to dance.
I was really impressed with their imagery, its was very reminiscent and had the same effect that their video for Sangre Bandera Cruz had.
It was such a good night. Such good vibes. I actually got to talk to them after the show and they turned out to be pretty cool guys. I hope they come back to Chicago soon. I thought I was going to have to go to California or Mexico to see them.
I think I mentioned them in a post last year trying to describe their futuristic beats intertwined with traditional sounds. I always have a hard time describing their sound or genre, which they have dubbed as ruidosón...or noise folk. I like to think that their brooding/gritty tones are almost apocalyptic in a sense...a very dark one, but one you can dance to.
I really like what they say about their sound in a Noisey interview they did, especially when one of them says, "You can't talk about Mexico without talking about its music."
Very true.
One of them even writes for VICE which is pretty awesome... kind of jealous. (Who am I kidding? SUPER jealous.)
So basically, my 13 hour work day had a very happy ending.

0 comments