I finally decided that if time travel would ever be invented (it never will be because I haven't stopped myself from doing dumb th...


I finally decided that if time travel would ever be invented (it never will be because I haven't stopped myself from doing dumb things) I would visit  the  late 1970's/ early 80s. No, not because of bell bottoms (eww), but because of THIS:



YES, the days of 'zines, DIY aesthetics, slam dancing, and pogo-ing... 

                                            



I think the inner 14 year old me is writing this because I went through a huge punk rock phase when I was in high school. In fact my first tattoo ever is the name of a song by the Bouncing Souls.   
    

Besides the fact that I really appreciate the raw and organic vibe and feel of the music (no Macs were used in the making) there's just something about subcultures that generally interests me. I think that's why I like a lot of VICE documentaries, especially this one. When I saw it I immediately thought about early punk rock and how they didn't care what anyone thought about them. They did what they wanted to and they loved it. These cholombianos even had a dance, a slow much less violent version, but a dance nonetheless. 

When I was a freshman  at UIC I even got to take an English class that was solely based on punk rock. It was easily one of my favorite classes I have ever taken. I think it was  mostly because the professor swore A LOT. So, when I was doing research I started to read this book (so good by the way) and really liked how analytical it got. It mentioned every possible historic and social change that was leading up to the creation  of this new subculture, all while disco and the Beatles were at their peak. 


Long story short, I got an A on my paper!



Now that I got my love of punk rock and subcultures out of the way here are some kids that are more punk than you or me will ever be:





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images