2012

I was going to do an Ivonne's top 20 songs of 2012 but I realized it woud have just been a combination of Spin's and Club Fonograma...

I was going to do an Ivonne's top 20 songs of 2012 but I realized it woud have just been a combination of Spin's and Club Fonograma's list....so maybe I'll just mention a few that ruled my ipod last year. Also, I know this is like a week late but whatevs.

1) Los Macuanos ☠ / ⚑ / ✞ (Sangre, Bandera, Cruz)
This haunting yet political critique on Mexico's government makes this song  a favorite of mine. I had read somewhere about how this trio feels a lot of Mexican music was becoming Americanized and how they wanted to avoid \ that vibe (interview). I really like how they have managed to capture that traditional Mexican music feel with electric/synth beats. Who would have thought those two would work so well? 



2.) Grimes' Oblivion
I missed this girl twice last year. TWICE. Once when I was supposed to go to Pitchfork in the summer and another in October. That being said I can't miss hearing her high pitched voice and electro-synth-experimental beats that she produced herself again. I think I heard that she opened up for Lykke Li once, which leads me to think: I missed that too?



3.)Dirty Projectors
I didn't put a specific song for them but only because I can't choose one! I have been listening to them for a couple of years now but they really grew on me in 2012. Swing Lo Magellan was definitely one of my favorite albums; Dave Longstreth never fails to disappoint me. There's just something about how their  harmonies and melodies coexist beautifully together. It's like they're matching but not matching. So stop what you're doing and play this video so you can ooh and ahh along with them.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images